Makeup Fashion Style

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Waterproof Make-Up

I grew up with a pool in my backyard. My parents still have a pool, my apartment building has a pool, and I live right on Lake Shore Drive so the beach is just footsteps away. As much as I love the water, if I'm not wearing waterproof make-up then forget it. Now, obviously when I'm at my parents house or even my apartment and just feel like spending the day lounging around in the pool, I don't even bother with make-up. As much as I love make-up, I'm not one of those people who refuse to leave the house without it. But what about those times when your going to a party at a friend's who has a pool...like there's not a chance someone will got tossed in the pool unexpectedly??? If that someone is me, I don't want to go into the pool looking totally normal and come out looking like Alice Cooper with runny eye make-up. In these situations, water proof make-up is a must.

A few people have been emailing and asking me for some suggestions for waterproof make-up. In my opinion, eye make-up is what you really need to be concerned with when thinking water-proof. Blush and lipgloss usually just wash off and don't leave you with a streaky mess. Mascara and eyeliner, on the other hand, can leave you looking like an extra in a horror movie. A lot of make-up brands offer much of their eye mak-up in both regular and water-proof varities. If you have a favorite brand of eye make-up that you just couldn't live without, just check and see if they offer a water-proof version. If you are looking for something new and waterproof, check out some of my latest finds.

CARGO Swimmables Summer Beach Collection
- I came across this set on HSN.com earlier this week. This is an HSN exclusive. This kit is just too cute. I love the name...Swimmables! You get water-proof mascara and eyeliner as well as a lip tint in a handy sports case making it easy to toss into your beach bag. Both the mascara and eyeliner are in shades of black and the lip tint is a berry shade. I just bought this kit for a friend of mine getting married in July (she's a 7-7-07 Bride) who is honeymooning in Hawaii and plans on spending a lot of time on the beach. This kit is available for only $25 with FREE SHIPPING!

Tarte Lights, Camera, Splashes! Waterproof Mascara Black - I first tried Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes! about a year ago and fell in love with it. I was overjoyed when about two months ago I learned that Tarte had finally come out with a water-proof version. The mascara brush has tons of tiny "lashes" that are able to get in between each and every eyelash and give them a nice even layer. The packaging is adorable too...a very chic denim wrap is adorned with a little anchor patch. Available for $18.

Dior Eye Show - If you're looking for a waterproof eye shadow, Dior Eye Show is your best bet. This cream shadow packs a lot of punch in its color contains just the right amount of shimmer. It's texture is smooth and feels so lightweight you won't even realize you have it on. Available in 6 great shades for $30.

Bourjois Intensely Luminous Waterproof Cream Eyeshadow - This is another great choice for water-proof shadow, especially if the $30 price tag on the Dior Eye Show is just too much for your wallet. These shadows are packed full of pigment, but appear irredescent when applied to your lids. These shadows also stay put without creasing. I absolutely love the Electric Beige shade. It also serves as a great base for layering shadows. Available in five shades for only $13.

Another thing to keep in mind as summer approaches, water-proof make-up is also helpful for those who tend to sweat a lot...especially, obviously, on your face. Now I know most women do not want to admit that they sweat a lot, but come on, we all sweat. In Chicago, where the summers are full of 90 plus degree heat and 1000% humidity, I sometimes sweat just sitting in the shade! Don't be afraid to reach for water-proof make-up when you're off to a BBQ or a fundraiser walk.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for this post. i love the tarte lights camera lashes mascara as well and had no clue that they finally released a waterproof version. finally i'll have lashes that i love without having to worry about going into the water this summer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home