Makeup Fashion Style

Monday, January 08, 2007

Best Drugstore Finds

It's no secret that I am a Sephora addict and definately favor higher end cosmetics, clothing, shoes, etc. But let's be realistic; I have champagne taste on a beer budget. While I'm more than willing to splurge on certain things because of their high quality and staying power, there are many bargain basement products that I equally cannot live without. Today I've decided to highlight some of the drugstore finds that I love.

Blistex Lip Medex, Lip Moisturizer - No matter where you are in my apartment, odds are that one of these little blue tubes is no further than 10 feet away. This product is my go to lip balm. It is soooooo moisturizing and always cures chapped lips. As soon as you put this on your lips you feel a cooling sensation take over. For those of you who have tried lip plumpers and enjoy the feeling of the cinnamon spice tingling over your lips, you will love the similar sensation with this product only its a cool tingling. Unlike some other lip balms, this one is very creamy feeling and not at all waxy.

Olay Regenerist Microdermabrasion & Peel System - I may only be 26 (which I guess isn't that young anymore), but I am already taking action against wrinkles, fine lines, and the signs of aging. My mom has instilled in me since an early age the need to take care of my skin. I love doing a microderabrasion and peel treatment every week or two. I've tried many different brands and have found this one by Olay to be the most effective as well as the most cost efficient. While I only use this once every week or two, it is gentle enough to use twice a week. Simply massage the derma-crystals into your skin for 1 minute and then massage the activator system in on top of that for another minute. You'll feel a nice warming sensation as the two ingredients join together to revitalize your skin. I also use this on my hands. Many people forget to take care of their hands which also age. ***TIP*** For the best results, use a washcloth to wipe off the treatment. The washcloth acts as an addition exfoliator and will leave your skin cleaner than if you simply rinsed with water.

Infusium 23 Leave-In Treatment - While I have yet to find the product that gives me a fantastic hair day everyday, this one comes pretty close. My Mom, a licensed hairdresser who gave up working in a shop to raise me and my sister but who was always available to do all of my friends' hair for every dance, has been using Infusium products for as long as I can remember. I only really gained an appreciation for it about 2 years ago. When I used this product many years ago I only sprayed a light layer all over my hair. It did nothing for my curls or frizz. Then, 2 years ago it finally dawned on me to use more product (I'd say roughly a 1/4 of a cup). As I massaged it into my hair working it from root to tip I thought, "Oh my God! What am I doing? I put too much of this in and now I'm going to have to take another shower to clean it out." It was a good thing I didn't jump into the shower because as I looked at my hair about an hour later when it had dried I could not believe my eyes. There was virtually no frizz and my curls were so soft. When I want to straighten my hair I don't use as much of this product, but I still use it. It really does condition my hair and makes it feel so soft.

Dove Energy Glow Daily Moisturizer - There is nothing better than a healthy looking tan. It makes your skin look better, it makes you feel better, and I even think it makes your look thinner, especially in your legs. I grew up with a pool, so every summer was spent outside in the pool resulting in very tan bodies. Now that I'm older and wiser (add your laughs here) I realize that tanning in the sun is a no-no. Thank God for this product from Dove. I talked about this product is one of my very first posts. I love it. Simply apply this moisturizing lotion once a day and your skin gradually develops a nice, golden sheen. I prefer this product to every other one out there because, to me, it is the least smelly. Unlike straight out self tanners, this product does not leave your skin streaky or orange looking. Really, I'm still shocked at how natural this product makes my skin look. I am constantly getting compliments on my "tan" with people asking where I had gone on vacation.

Noxzema Triple Clean Pads - Everyone has had those nights where they come home and the last thing they want to do is go through the regimen of washing their face. I've been guilty of this many a time. This product has been my God send on those types of nights. While the directions on the product say that you are supposed to use this after you have washed your face, I simply use them as a sort of make-up remover on my lazy nights. Even though I may not have washed my face properly, at least I have taken off my make-up and wiped off any dirts and oils that may have accumulated throughout the day. My skin feels pretty clean and I love the fact that I won't wake up with runny and smudgey make-up all over my face as the result of not washing it off due to laziness the night before. This is a product that my boyfriend uses religiously. ***Side Story*** When we first started dating he had horrible acne. When he told me he was using regular old soap to wash his face I almost had a heart attack. While he refused to use any of my "girlie" facial cleansers (Philosophy and Clinique), he said okay to using Noxzema. After only a week of using original Noxzema cleansing cream and the pads his skin cleared up immediately. 6 and 1/2 years later he still uses both products everyday.

Neutrogena Moisture MoistureShine Tinted Lip Balm - This is the drugstore version of Tarte 24/7 Lip Sheers. While I don't think it has the staying power of Tarte, the Neutrogena balms are great for those who do not want to shell out $14 for a tinted lip balm. It gives your lips just a hint of color. This is an essential product when you want to do the "no make-up" look. And, since it is a balm, it is highly moisturizing. There are a handful of shades that range from nudes to dark pinks. I usually use this as my "keep in the car" lip color for warmer months. At such an affordable price, I'm not really too worried if the blam melts.

Freeman Bare Foot Creamy Pumice Foot Scrub - If there is one thing that really bothers me, it is people who wear sandles and flip-flops without properly caring for their feet. I can't stand to have to look at someone's super dry and scalely feet. All I can think about when I see that is doesn't the dryness bother those people??? I know that when I have dry feet I usually slather then up with lotion and put on some nice heavy socks so that my feet will soak up the lotion. Freeman's Bare Foot Scrub is a must have to prevent and tend to dry, cracked feet. Just rub in some of the cooling scrub into damp feet, massage, and rinse off. It revitalizes tired feet. My sister is a waitress and uses this at the end of every day. I use this at least once a week during the winter and probably about twice a week during the summer. My feet have never looked or felt so good.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home