Makeup Fashion Style

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Fafi For Mac

So last Friday I decided to meet my bestest friend for lunch. Of course I got their way too early. To kill the time, I ran to the Macy's that was across the street from the restaurant we were meeting at. Big mistake. I tried to browse from a distance. Glancing at clothes and shoes from a distance, and only getting close to the racks that were 75% off or more. After just plopping down $2500 for a pool, I was feeling guilty about the spending and trying to avoid spending even more! I must say, I actually did a really good job of walking away from some gorgeous new Spring dresses. Walking away from the make-up department was another thing.

Just as I was about to walk out of Macy's, my eye was drawn to the MAC Cosmetics counter. Prominently displayed was their new Fafi Collection. I had heard about this collection for the past couple of weeks. I will say that at first, I didn't give it a second thought. For those of you who don't know, Fafi is some sort of French graffitti artist. All of the hoopla about this line seemed to focus on her artwork on the packaging and the compacts. That made me think that maybe the make-up itself wasn't that spectacular if all these people were focusing on the packaging. Let me just tell you, I was so wrong.

The first thing that caught my eye was the Iridescent Powder/Pressed. Talk about shimmer. The first thing that I thought of was that it was very similar to Bobbi Brown's Shimmer Bricks, but in one color. Available in 3 colors, I was immediately drawn to the middle shade, Verve-Acious. Since we're quickly approaching Spring/Summer, this shade called out to me. Perfect for giving a beautiful sun-kissed sheerness to your face, it is also a must have for your neck, shoulders, and chest. Not one to shy away from shimmer, I was really suprised at how much building power this product has. Dust it on for a barely there kiss of color with not much shimmer. Add layers to give you more of a party girl shimmer. This product is also versatile in the way that it can be applied. Brush it on, buff if on, swipe it on, use a brush, use a sponge, use your hand, etc. Each type of application gives you a different look. At $21, I really think that this product is a steal.

After talking to the free lance make-up artist that was working there that day, I was convinced to let her try the eye palettes on me. There are two palettes to choose from with one featuring shades of pink, brown, and black and the other featuring shades of peach, yellow, green, and blue. Not being afraid of color, I let her go to town and do whatever she wanted on me. Although she was excited to hear that I wasn't afraid of color and would have loved to use the greens and blues, she opted to use the colors of Palette #1 to give me a killer smokey eye. She told me that with my blue eyes and blonde hair, I would "rock" those colors. Oh my God was she right! She didn't give me vamped up smokey eyes, she gave me a daytime smokey eye. It was gorgeous. Using the pink and browns as bases and the black shade as a liner, my eyes totally popped. I needed to have this palette!

My last purchase that day was one of the powder blushes. Although I loved both of them, I chose Hipness. The shade description notes that this is an intense coral with white pearl. I guess that's a pretty good description. Putting this shade on top of Verve-Acious powder, I looked like I just got home from a great tropical vacation. Not the I spent a week in the islands and came home with sunburn look, but the I limited my time in the sun and got sunkissed look. Fashion Frenzy was also a gorgeous shade, but it had much more pink in it.

Although I only purchased those three items that day, I am currently placing an order online to get some of the Fafi lip colors. As most of you know, I am lip gloss obsessed. Many times, I don't give lipsticks a second glance. This line has changed that opinion! I cannot believe how packed with shimmer these LIPSTICKS are. It's almost as if they took their lipglosses, put them in a freezer and made the lipsticks. They give you so much shine it is unreal. Pair it with a Lipglass and watch out.

As usual, some of the pieces in this collection are already sold out. I've counted 6 items as sold out on the MAC website, but as of right now Macys.com has every product in stock. If you are interested in any of these pieces, my suggestion is that you don't wait. We all know how fast the Barbie Loves MAC Collection flew off of the shelves. Also, the make-up artist who worked on me told me that supposedly the compacts and pieces that have Fafi artwork on them are supposed to be collector items that will be worth a lot of money. She said that's the word around MAC. Just something to keep in mind once you use up the products housed inside of them!

macys.com

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. Fafi is a must have collection. Great colors in every piece. I've already purchased half of the collection and am seriously thinking about getting the rest.

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more on the irridescent powders. I got all three. Endless possibilities with the option of blending the different shades together. Great for summer when I don't really want to wear foundation. Not a fan of the artwork, but I'm buying it for the make-up, not the container.

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just got home after going to macy's after work. I picked up both of the eye palettes. The girl at the counter did up my eyes with the 2nd palette and they are to die for. Can't wait to wear these out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home