Makeup Fashion Style

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Smashbox Wicked Lovely Collection

The "Goth" look continues to be featured in many new fall collections. The latest collection from Smashbox, Wicked Lovely, looks like it should be featured on the shelves of Hot Topic. While the collection seems to be all about a smokey eye, the lack of lip color options turns me off. You have your choice of a very light lip or a very dark lip.

Wicked Lovely is sort of a unique line. The concept features 2 different looks: a "Wicked" look is more sexy and sultry, while a "Lovely" look is more feminine and soft. I personally think this concept fails. While there are plenty of options for the Wicked look, I think there is a lack of options for the Lovely side. To pull of the Lovely look, you simply down play the eye.

The Wicked Lovely Lip Glosses are my least favorite items in the collection. You have your choice of three shades: Coy (a sheer nude), Sultry (a sheer black cherry), and Sweet (a sheer apricot). When I tried on Coy and Sweet, I really didn't see much of a difference other than the fact that Coy seemed to have a little more shimmer to it. I thought that both shades were kind of boring and weren't anything new and exciting.

Sultry, on the other hand, seems very new, but not very exciting. As I looked in the mirror I was horrified at what I saw. The dark black cherry shade was very overpowering. I looked like I was getting dressed up for Halloween. I've heard other people talk about how much they like this shade and how it will work for everyone, including those with fair skin tones. I have no idea how that is even possible. Really, I don't understand why they are offering a dark lip gloss when everyone knows that when you play up your eyes you should definately understate your lips. Maybe it's supposed to be for the Lovely look since the eyes are down played in that look, but I really don't think anyone who is trying to achieve a soft feminine look would want these Elvira like lips.

I will say that these glosses to pack alot of shine, so that's a plus. I did not, however, like the packaging. The little leather tassles on the top of the tubes reminded me of some type of S&M club.

I really liked the Wicked Lovely Blush Rush in Charm. The soft warm pink shade is a perfect fall shade. It has a dusty look to it. Subtle enough in color to work with the dark eyes of the collection, but noticable enough that you won't wonder, "where is my blush?" I also love the packaging of this product. There is a swivel mirror attached to it so you can bring it with you on the go without having to tote around a mirror compact.

The collection also features 2 Wicked Lovely Eye Shadow Duo: Sexy/Demure (shimmering charcoal/shimmering peach) and Sinful/Pure (shimmering dark brown/shimmering ivory). While both of these are very pretty duos, I personally think that they are very similar. It would be a waste of money to get both duos when they look so much alike. I would think that since they are going for the two distinct looks they would have made at least one duo have a softer dark shade. Like possibly a light gray or even a light brown.

The line also features a Wicked Lovely Cream Liner Trio And Loose Shimmer set. Is it just me or does anyone else think that Smashbox needs to offer some new shades of cream liner. 2 years ago in their Holiday collection they had some very unique cream liners in shades of white and silver. Ever since then it seems that every kit or collection that comes with cream liners features shades of black, brown, and blue. This collection is no exception. The unique aspect of this product is the attached loose shimmer. I really like this idea. However, I will be passing on this item because I have quite a few Smashbox Cream Liners in the shades offered.

So there you are. Some of the highlights of Smashbox's new Wicked Lovely collection. The products are all limited editions.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home